"It all happened with a "birth" of a college! Central College of Ohio was organized by the Presbytery of Marion in March 1842. Squire Timothy Lee gave 100 acres of land, an endowment, and provided for the initial facilities, which included four buildings. The school continued to serve until 1893, when it was forced to close, due to lack of financial support."
To fill the spiritual needs of students and faculty, the Central College Presbyterian Church was organized by the Marion Presbytery on April 22, 1843 with 19 charter members. They met in the college buildings until the original church building was constructed and dedicated on Christmas Day, 1870. It has been in use since that time, and has been designated as the Ellsworth Chapel.
Construction projects to support God's many ministries at Central College Church included Ballard Hall and classrooms in 1956; a new sanctuary seating 550 in 1966; educational classrooms to support a Preschool in 1979; more classrooms and a gymnasium (Kirk Hall) in 1990; and a 2003 addition houses the Central College Christian Academy during the week and offers library, computer lab and meeting space for Sunday School classes and other church groups. This addition also included a bright new Nursery, Choir Rooms and ground level Food Pantry.
We're proud of the past that has brought us here today...a heritage that continues to propel us to an even brighter tomorrow!